[Nhcoll-l] Polycarbonate cryogenic box manufacture

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Fri May 29 02:53:03 EDT 2015

Hi Heath,

yes, isn't it funny that there is a huge variety of external-threated
tubes and hardly a rack that allows proper storage and easy picking of
single tubes ? Boxes with rigid internal grids don't work and scratch
labels off as you explained; maybe its worth to check these ones:

Greiner (sorry, German text but PDF offers 2 detail views of boxes); US
contact: Greiner Bio-One North America Inc., info at us.gbo.com

Fisher Scientific offers similar boxes, acc. to their catalogue from

Wheaton, article 1267-3395 (100 tubes) / 1266-3405 (81 tubes)
Corning, article 1065-9351 (100 tubes) / 1039-0502 (81 tubes)
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__de.fishersci.com_deen_-3Foption-3Dcom-5Finsight2-26task-3Dgetproduct-26productCode-3D10390502&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=y5p_rqm3rsvlr94cxpWf8qwGDQrn-6H8KmcNy6E7GYY&s=5fCXC88vCF0l1i2J_mAFLGzM3blc6VvteOBnSfbcNrM&e=

For some internal reasons, the article numbers from the printed
catalogue do not match with the online catalogue, and also the pictures
differ. Both alternatives have internal posts that hold the tubes, not a
grid. Even with those racks spacing of tubes might be an issue, as
external dimensions of boxes are designed to fit in freezer racks which
do have fixed dimensions. We have been testing similar boxes with the
same design, tubes fit inside fairly without rubbing external labels,
but we decided to use tall NUNC storage vials, as they perform much
better during field, lab & under frozen (-25°C) conditions (externally
threaded tubes do have major evaporation issues under ambient
temperatures and under field conditions).

Hope this helps
Dirk

Am 29.05.2015 um 00:42 schrieb Garner, Heath:

> Hi,
>
> We’re needing to switch the storage of our frozen tissue collection
> into 81-cell polycarbonate boxes. Unfortunately, about 95% of our
> frozen collection are in externally threaded tubes with labels, which
> make the vials themselves too wide to be placed in your typical
> cryogenic storage box. The labels tear and scuff on the edges of the
> divider or the vial caps become so closely impacted that the lids to
> the box no longer fit. We’ve tried every popular brand of
> polycarbonate cryogenic storage box on the market that’s readily
> available in the U.S. and certainly no grid-style cryo box fits our
> tubes. Most appear to be the exact same or similar design, just with a
> different distributers logo printed on them.
>
> Does anyone have positive experience with a laboratory or plastics
> company that’s willing to manufacture something for you, provided you
> pay for the mold costs and order suitable quantities? So far we’re not
> having much luck. Feel free to contact off-list.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Heath

> Heath J. Garner
>
> Curator of Collections
>
> Museum of Texas Tech University
>
> Natural Science Research Laboratory
>
> 3301 4^th Street
>
> Lubbock, TX 79415
>
> (806) 742-2486

> society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=y5p_rqm3rsvlr94cxpWf8qwGDQrn-6H8KmcNy6E7GYY&s=-GvwtO5l88ErKBaDyQxDiRTraUBq6Xe-lOUSzQuDqOo&e=  for membership information.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.zsm.mwn.de_ich_&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=y5p_rqm3rsvlr94cxpWf8qwGDQrn-6H8KmcNy6E7GYY&s=GbkuUaJWRwxuyGG_WmFm9scAD5P7vOWcmuy9KBPXBEg&e=

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at: