[Nhcoll-l] Has anyone had experience using Specify as electronic museum management system?

angie thompson angie.c.thompson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 10:39:34 EDT 2015

Tom,

You can do a global updates in *some* cases. If, say, a genus was
misspelled in the taxon tree- correcting the mistake in the taxon tree
(aka, 'editing' the node instead of 'adding a new determination') would fix
it for all records tied to that node. You cannot yet create a record-set
and update only those records included in the set. As to the
export/fix/reimport, that mechanism is not in place. Granted, if you have
someone who can work directly with the SQL database, none of these issues
apply. The edit records limitation only applies to interacting with data
from the 'normal' interface.

I have asked the Specify crew about downloading ALL the data for each
record into a huge spreadsheet, fixing the records that need tweaking, then
blowing away the current install of Specify and reinstalling it.
Shockingly*, this was not met with much approval.

-Angie

*note: It was not really shocking that the crew didn't approve. In truth,
it was more shocking that nobody fainted at the notion. I would NEVER
seriously suggest this as an option. But I think I did get my point across
for how much we want GUI based mass editing capabilities!