[Nhcoll-l] Has anyone had experience using Specify as electronic museum management system?

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Fri Oct 2 12:30:10 EDT 2015

It's interesting reading the comments on this thread. I've watched over
the years as various programs have come onto the specimen-management
scene, and to me the most remarkable thing is that none of them,
generation after generation, ever solves all of the problems that were
identified by users of OTHER older or contemporaneous programs. I
settled on using FileMaker back around 1993, and have never regretted
that decision, but it's still - after all this time - got its own
annoying quirks. From what I can see it does essentially everything
Specify does plus a few things it doesn't (including the kind of editing
that Angie wishes she had), and allows for an amazing amount of personal
customization (especially regarding scripting of automated tasks), but
still has shortcomings that are bafflingly idiosyncratic. It has no
built-in "undo" function, for example (everything is instantly
auto-saved so if you accidentally overwrite or delete part or all of an
existing record, it's changed forever - you need an external backup copy
as an insurance policy), and if you want it to count "unique
occurrences" (say, a list of counties species X is reported from, or a
list of those species in family Y that have records in the database),
there is no built-in function to do it - you have to write a script, and
customize it for each such query. In the case of a huge commercial
product like FileMaker, you would think that omissions of such
fundamental database procedures would have generated negative user
feedback over the last 30 years, and gotten fixed (FM is up to version
14 now, but goes back to 1985), but apparently not - which is why I use
the term "baffling". Maybe some day someone will come up with a single
program that actually is "quirk-free", but I'm not holding my breath. ;-)

Peace,

              https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__cache.ucr.edu_-7Eheraty_yanega.html&d=AwIC-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=ak1PUuffl7ukUxPPcPz74ohfDoD7eKixH3vQybMcwTM&s=t2V9w4JR9ZWSBtmNftN1vdAlwKZE3XWwXG4mQVUUVdU&e=