[Nhcoll-l] removing paint from bird feathers

Kirsten Nicholson norops at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 11:10:13 EDT 2015

Yeah, this is not joke. We have an eagle mount that apparently is an
immature specimen that was painted to look as if it had the mature plumage
(no idea who did this or when or really, why). In its current state is has
little use and we were hoping to find some way to remove the paint safely.
In a very small and hidden area we've tried paint thinner, soap and water,
and Gu-Gon (all of which make me cringe, but what are you gonna do,
right?), with zero affect. We have no idea what kind of paint this is, so
does anyone out there have any suggestions for how we might remove the
paint? This is otherwise a very nice mount but on a specimen with no data,
so of little research value, but could have great exhibiting and program
potential.

Thanks for any suggestions you have!

Kirsten

--
Kirsten E. Nicholson, Ph.D

*Assoc. Prof. Biology          and       Curator of Natural HistoryDept. of
Biology                             Museum of Cultural and Natural
History217 Brooks Hall                            103 Rowe HallCentral
Michigan Univ.                 Central Michigan University Mt. Pleasant, MI
48859                 Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859989-774-3758
             989-774-3829*