[Nhcoll-l] Identification of preservation fluid

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 12:28:02 EDT 2015

The only way to reliably determine what preservative fluid was used for the
specimen is to have a sample analyzed by a chemist. You might try
contacting an area college or university chemistry department to ask if a
student could take this on as a project.

I would not eliminate formaldehyde as a possibility--the fluid is most
likely to be ethanol, but could also be isopropanol, formaldehyde, or a
more complex mixture of chemicals. It is not likely (but it is possible) to
be an ethylene glycol based solution--glycols usually become cloudy over
time. It is far more likely to be denatured alcohol or a denatured
alcohol-based mixture.

Another option would be to drill a small hole in the top of the cube,
siphon out all of the fluid, and replace it with 70% alcohol, or remove the
specimen entirely from the cube and rehouse it in a good glass container in
alcohol.  As Dries van Dam and his associates demonstrated some years ago,
plexiglas containers will always loose fluid over time:

van Dam, A.J., J.P. M. van der Ploeg, G.J. M. Koper and D. Bedeaux. 2000.
The warping and cracking of Plexiglas™ specimen containers. *Collection
Forum* 14(1-2):47-56.

--John

John E. Simmons
Museologica
128 E. Burnside Street
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania 16823-2010
simmons.johne at gmail.com
303-681-5708
www.museologica.com
and
Adjunct Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
University Park, Pennsylvania
and
Instructor, Museum Studies