[Nhcoll-l] Inquiry about policies for licensing or products based on museum specimens

Laura Abraczinskas abraczi1 at msu.edu
Thu Sep 10 16:25:11 EDT 2015

Hello,

Does anyone have any policies, advice, information, or considerations to
share with regard to decisions about licensing and products based on museum
specimens?
Our museum was approached by a small craft beverage company that inquired
about naming one of their products after a specimen in our collection.  They
asked about using the specimen's catalog number in the product name.  The
specimen is a fossil.   The inquiry was discussed among some museum staff
and the university's licensing department.  I have never had to consider
such a request.

Our current collections policy document does not include language about
this, and we will be updating our document.

Any information would be appreciated.  Feel free to reply off list
(abraczi1 at msu.edu)

Thanks and best,
Laura

Laura Abraczinskas, Collections Manager