[Nhcoll-l] longterm stability of Instapak Foam

Pellegrini, Rodrigo Rodrigo.Pellegrini at sos.nj.gov
Fri Sep 11 09:31:01 EDT 2015

I'm sure there are other list members that know materials better than I, but my understanding is Polyethylene (PE) foam is much more stable than PU. The system you describe would probably work well enough with PE foam, which would last much longer IIRC.
You might also wish to review a copy of "Supporting Old Bones, Storage Jackets for Oversize Dinosaur Bones" by Fox, Marilyn, and Vicki Fitzgerald of the Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History. This was a poster presented at the Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections (SPNHC) Annual Meeting in 2012, Special Poster Session: Storage Techniques for Arts, Science, and Humanities Collections.
I can forward a copy by private email if you don't have it in your library.

Best regards,

Rod

Rodrigo Pellegrini, MA, MS
Registrar, Natural History Bureau