[Nhcoll-l] Question about vertebrate specimen preparation equipment

Elizabeth Wommack ewommack at uwyo.edu
Wed Sep 23 12:52:05 EDT 2015

The UWYMV is gaining more preparation students and volunteers, which is
fantastic, but I've run into a problem that I'm hoping someone may have a
solution for.

The museum maintains a collection of cheaper preparatory equipment
(forceps, probes, scalpels, hemostats, etc.) for our volunteers, but we go
through our scissors really quickly.
The volunteers have been better about being careful with the small detail
scissors, but our larger pairs of scissors have been dulling fast. This is
partially because we're working on a lot of larger size specimens, which is
great for the collections but bad for having to reorder equipment every
year.

Does anyone have a particular brand of large scissors they find works
really well for general lab use animal preparation?
One alternative I've also starting to look into is sharpening the scissors.
Does anyone have a particular sharpening kit that they find they really
like? Would people recommend sharpening general use lab equipment?

Any recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated.

cheers,
Beth Wommack

--
Elizabeth Wommack, PhD
Curator and Collections Manager of Vertebrates