[Nhcoll-l] collector & determiner identities

Derek Sikes dssikes at alaska.edu
Thu Feb 18 13:27:01 EST 2016

David,

Arctos has an agents table:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__arctosdb.org_documentation_agent_&d=AwIBaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=XXIPaOFYXJVA0wHv20mdR1pnGONFEyGNnbq1nvQRvBE&s=pvEpbWVttRYrapqznMOv-VokHnRIvRJE8Usu3dGH37c&e=

disambiguation of homonymous agents (William Smith) is an issue sometimes.
Adding notes about them, including a simple field to indicate if they are
alive on a certain date (Alive 2016-02-16) helps to separate them from each
other and can be used even when birth & death dates are unknown.

-Derek

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 5:46 AM, Shorthouse, David <
davidpshorthouse at gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> For the past several months, I have been experimenting with the
> reconciliation of collector and determiner names in digitized specimen
> data, using the Canadensys network of aggregated records as a small
> case study.
>
> As you may well know, the Darwin Core terms recordedBy, identifiedBy,
> and indeed scientificNameAuthorship contain people names. To my
> knowledge, no one has tried to reveal the human effort and the
> implicit social networks using content in these terms, perhaps because
> the expected content and format of these terms is so under-specified.
> Maiden and married names, nicknames, variously abbreviated given
> names, etc. are but a few examples that make ad-hoc reconciliation
> heuristics & algorithms very difficult to do well. You can explorer my
> first, albeit naive experiments at
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__collector.shorthouse.net&d=AwIBaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=l4-dQ15l7SFEeJeMGIcnWDPyDO7p7IhxNa2gtk34qho&s=mZIjOrs0Vcy44oRHHM8RA14ALH6lG441BSzX1tdtxkI&e=
> .
> There's potential here, but the next logical step is to lift this up
> to something like a Darwin Core extension such that data managers at
> the source have a mechanism to unambiguously link & share each of the
> one-to-many, specimen-to-name pairs to human identity.
>
> I am writing to inquire if anyone knows of any best practices guides
> on how museum staff *ought* to record the names of collectors,
> determiners, and other agents. Do any of you have an *agents* table in
> your database? Have you attempted to link people names in your
> specimen databases to their unambiguous identities and, by extension
> to their scientific outputs like datasets & papers published? Does
> anyone yet record ORCIDs,
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__orcid.org_&d=AwIBaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=l4-dQ15l7SFEeJeMGIcnWDPyDO7p7IhxNa2gtk34qho&s=xTk1sgn3JolA6nk4mkV9oxQRdpMuKhWdddwtdnuA8tU&e=
> for this purpose? Last,
> does the ordering of determiner or collector names on labels contain
> any semantic meaning as it does for papers? That's something I have
> not yet considered & quite frankly scares me if this is important.
>
> Hope this generates some discussion,
>
> David P. Shorthouse

> society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=AwIBaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=XXIPaOFYXJVA0wHv20mdR1pnGONFEyGNnbq1nvQRvBE&s=WomXcrt4ygND9rbOmYEVlgQSDWLxnzHtzJBdmgg8ahw&e=  for membership information.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Derek S. Sikes, Curator of Insects
Associate Professor of Entomology
University of Alaska Museum
907 Yukon Drive
Fairbanks, AK   99775-6960

dssikes at alaska.edu

phone: 907-474-6278
FAX: 907-474-5469

University of Alaska Museum  -  search 302,939 digitized arthropod records
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.uaf.edu_museum_collections_ento_&d=AwIBaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=XXIPaOFYXJVA0wHv20mdR1pnGONFEyGNnbq1nvQRvBE&s=ouquN1XrYWPRWMptmevu5NBIyMahw99xZO2N1XDJ8MQ&e=

Society and / or sign up for the email listserv "Alaska Entomological
Network" at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.akentsoc.org_contact.php&d=AwIBaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=XXIPaOFYXJVA0wHv20mdR1pnGONFEyGNnbq1nvQRvBE&s=Zur1MfgdSqH7TAZKRV-7mAo8ZA0tdNr9D4TyQ0QQ4CA&e=