[Nhcoll-l] FW: making the case for natural history collections and their wider benefit to society and the environment

Kirsten Nicholson norops at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 09:24:28 EST 2016

David (and all),

I think I must have read this differently from you. Maybe you feel the case
needs to be made differently, but particularly on pages 7-10 I felt that
the take home message was (a) museums have lots of specimens that (b)
researchers use to understand nature's patterns and processes (including
climate change and how nature impacts people
directly/mentally/physically/etc) and (c) those same museums also educate
the public on the findings of researchers which couldn't have been done
without the collections. Thus (d) people should really care about nature
and want to spend more time within it and they can (e) learn more in their
museums and (f) help to pass it on by going with offspring, grandkids, etc.

Maybe it'd be interesting to survey the general public to see what their
take home message is from this presentation.  Did they already do that?

Kirsten

--
Kirsten E. Nicholson, Ph.D

*Assoc. Prof. Biology          and       Curator of Natural HistoryDept. of
Biology                             Museum of Cultural and Natural
History217 Brooks Hall                            103 Rowe HallCentral
Michigan Univ.                 Central Michigan University Mt. Pleasant, MI
48859                 Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859989-774-3758
             989-774-3829*