[Nhcoll-l] Buying ethafoam

Mayfield, Teresa tmayfield at utep.edu
Wed Jun 15 18:32:10 EDT 2016

Paul,

My solution doesn't involve buying anything, so I figured that I could respond here.  I have a budget of zero dollars for my collection.  My solution has been to hit up my waste management team at UTEP.  Ethafoam (Polyethylene foam) is used for many purposes in shipping and a lot of it ends up going in the trash.  My waste management team is keeping an eye out for such materials and bringing them to me for re-purposing as collection storage material.  I am also thinking about checking with some of my local retailers (Best Buy, Home Depot and the like) to see if they would collect Polyethylene for me.  I am going to put together some samples of the materials I could use and go visit the store managers.  I figure this is one way to manage a collection sustainably....

Adios,

Teresa J. Mayfield
Manager, UTEP Biodiversity Collections

University of Texas at El Paso
500 West University Avenue
El Paso, TX 79968*
Biology Bldg. #222

Office/Lab: (915) 747-5479  FAX: (915) 747-5808
E-mail: tmayfield at utep.edu<mailto:tmayfield at utep.edu>

*zip code 79902 for FEDEX/UPS deliveries

Website:  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.utep.edu_leb_default.htm&d=AwIFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=SDLwK1iN9k0gm24C1rmXVgI4yl74x5tZ8n7JdBN4Bts&s=EBLEOuES5ndRyM96ojvyg7hp8RYO20ipgiMfHPwpPCI&e=