[Nhcoll-l] sealing petri dishes for storage

Christian Baars Christian.Baars at museumwales.ac.uk
Mon Jun 27 10:24:54 EDT 2016

Hi Dee,

Many, many (too many!) years ago I spent a summer looking after the Senckenberg Museum's https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.senckenberg.de_&d=CwIFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=McDCvnHFK-XGuw_CKu9yfZMr6akst7lzQJOWEGpGZh0&s=1oO3DMD-_ATozmXStsXBbfNBVlhl2tKTPGwsZEw4EdY&e=  live fresh water algal collections (when they still existed; to my knowledge they don't have them anymore, at least the field station where the collection was kept does not exist anymore). They used to store algae in either in liquid in culture vessels, or on agar plates in petri dishes. Either way, both the vessel openings and the edges of the petri dishes were taped up with Parafilm which is breathable enough to allow for gas exchange but should keep unwanted spores out. I can't see why the same technique shouldn't work well for mould cultures so I would give it a go.

Ironically, we had to check the cultures on a weekly basis for mould infection and, if necessary, pick out individual algal cells to start new, clean cultures.

Best wishes
Christian

Christian Baars PhD AMA

Senior Preventive Conservator  |  National Museum Cardiff  |  Department of Collection Services  |  Cathays Park, Cardiff CF10 3NP, UK
Telephone: +44 (0)29 2057 3302  |  E-mail: christian.baars at museumwales.ac.uk<mailto:christian.baars at museumwales.ac.uk>  |  Twitter: @NMWPrevCons  |  Blog: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.museumwales.ac.uk_blog_-3Fcat-3D2484&d=CwIFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=McDCvnHFK-XGuw_CKu9yfZMr6akst7lzQJOWEGpGZh0&s=IvVpgkiOSGCYxHGZ5n6_NqhUqAV9WDWGzAOggZzbUVI&e=