[Nhcoll-l] Multiple numbers

Carla Cicero ccicero at berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 11 11:26:42 EST 2016

At the MVZ, we used to have different catalog number series for
fluid-preserved specimens and frozen tissues. We moved away from that
system to one in which every specimen gets a single catalog number, but the
parts can be tracked individually through our database system Arctos. That
works much better for us because it is easy to relate each part to the
specimen and its associated metadata (taxonomy, geography, collecting
event, etc.). It took time for use to recatalog the fluids and tissues but
it was worth it. This system is used for birds, mammals, and
amphibians/reptiles.

The only exception is that we maintain a different catalog series for our
egg/nest specimens. Thus, if we have an egg/nest associated with a skin in
the collection, those get different catalog numbers that are related to
each other.

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Callomon,Paul <prc44 at drexel.edu> wrote:

> Colleagues:
>

> In some collections, individual components of a lot that are stored in a
> particular medium (for example: the empty dry shell, frozen tissue snip and
> alcohol-preserved body from the same snail or the dry skin and
> fluid-preserved guts of a single bird) each get different catalog numbers.
>
> The question: All other things being equal, is it better collections
> management practice for all parts of a single lot to have the same catalog
> number (perhaps with different states of preservation indicated separately
> or as prefixes/suffixes)?
>
> A “lot” is defined as all specimens collected at the same time in the same
> place. This can be a single bird or a hundred pond snails.
>

> How do you handle this in your collection?
>

> *Paul Callomon*
> *Collection Manager, Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General
> Invertebrates*
> ------------------------------
>
> *Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, Philadelphia*
>
> 1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
> *callomon at ansp.org <callomon at ansp.org> Tel 215-405-5096 <215-405-5096> -
> Fax 215-299-1170 <215-299-1170>*

> society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=_4TrEt1IandemghwA9cM1-UFM5Dx9Ej4OnwlpfIKQ5U&s=VnnhLijHHK5rKsfzaysGcirZCwL_CLJKfg9SaXVHQXU&e=  for membership information.

Carla Cicero, Ph.D
Staff Curator of Birds
Museum of Vertebrate Zoology
3101 Valley Life Sciences Building
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-3160
TEL: (510) 642-7868
FAX: (510) 643-8238

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__mvz.berkeley.edu_&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=_4TrEt1IandemghwA9cM1-UFM5Dx9Ej4OnwlpfIKQ5U&s=rbozHJnwgq9m016y-pIjl-xUw-KQLoGfkkJKpPtWSPo&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__carlacic.googlepages.com_home&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=_4TrEt1IandemghwA9cM1-UFM5Dx9Ej4OnwlpfIKQ5U&s=ZgU8G509z4rfcJNKVv1TFgwCOzYpIrhDYzhp5estD20&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__vertnet.org_&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=_4TrEt1IandemghwA9cM1-UFM5Dx9Ej4OnwlpfIKQ5U&s=rfHzeJgRo1EeBf8kln3j8tEdv3cH-BQTW4IB8f7TDVs&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Bird-5Fcollections&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=_4TrEt1IandemghwA9cM1-UFM5Dx9Ej4OnwlpfIKQ5U&s=rtTT5RNVceJ_w4tsuPBAHnsm6cvPjQNd33d_GfOJiAI&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.americanornithology.org_&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=_4TrEt1IandemghwA9cM1-UFM5Dx9Ej4OnwlpfIKQ5U&s=VKVVY6WudMdEGU5BkaOr8pOhSauz3bPaV1LHHtt3PDk&e=