[Nhcoll-l] Advice requested: Mollusk specimen storage

Candace Fallon candace at xerces.org
Tue Mar 15 12:20:07 EDT 2016

Dear list members,

I am working with some colleagues to determine best practices for long term
mollusk storage, and I was hoping some of you could share recommendations
or insights from your own collections. We are specifically interested in
how to best store wet collections for some of our larger terrestrial snails
such as *Monadenia*. Currently, these are stored in individual vials in
cardboard boxes. However, we are hoping to come up with a long term bulk
management system that would allow us to store multiple collections in a
single container that could then be easily topped off with ethanol as
needed.

Do any of you have advice for storage systems, vials, etc.? Are sleeves a
viable option? If so, what do you use to hold the sleeves themselves? What
materials are best for withstanding long term ethanol exposure?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Candace

*Candace Fallon*

Conservation Biologist

Endangered Species Program

*The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation*

628 NE Broadway, Suite 200, Portland, OR, 97232 USA

Tel: (503) 232-6639 ext. 118 |  Fax: (503) 233-6794