[Nhcoll-l] Vial jar system

Alexandra Snyder amsnyder at unm.edu
Wed Mar 16 16:19:26 EDT 2016

Dear Simon,  The idea behind using quality gaskets (N-Buna rubber) in the
first place, is to avoid the catastrophic evaporation you describe.  I have
found that these gaskets need to be changed out every 5-10 years.

However, despite precautions, yes, one should be aware of potential
problems occurring (like detritus under the gasket so a seal is not formed,
etc.) and take precautions. However, I have not found the upside-down vial
to be particularly advantageous and, since it is necessary to annually
inspect the fluid collections for evaporation problems anyway, catching any
problems before a complete drying occurs is part of my responsibility.

I recognize that larger collections may not be able to annually inspect
their collections but my contention here is to use good products-to start
with-and good conservation practice regardless of a collections manager's
inspection protocol.

Sincerely,  Lex Snyder

MSC01-2020

Physical address for FedEx and UPS
Bldg.83  Room 204, 302 Yale Blvd NE
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131 USA
PH.505.277.6005

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__msb.unm.edu_&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=PgqeXUnle2KPggAYgqdLuN37opLX5OYV75xpVLfU3aw&s=vG_89Bw7KD8hlQyxUrBy1T_9PWRRK0Lj0VJpC0SyKGs&e=