[Nhcoll-l] DNA samples suggestions

Kelly Brown k.e.brown25 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 02:59:20 EDT 2016

Dear Karen and Lena,

I'm sorry for being late to this discussion. I am a graduate student at
Simon Fraser University (Burnaby, BC) in the Department or Archaeology. My
research is on developing a minimally destructive aDNA sampling technique
meant specifically for use on museum collection bone artifacts and samples
(I've attached a poster highlighting my research from earlier this year).

The most standard material for DNA analysis is bone and teeth, as these
tend to preserve DNA better than tissue and fur. Nezka is also correct that
the chemicals used for taxidermy could destroy the DNA or inhibit the
amplification of any surviving DNA. It is likely that bone and teeth would
be less effected by these chemicals and could provide the best sample. My
guess is that it would still be possible to obtain surviving DNA from these
samples as they are only ~50 years old.

Karen, I would also suggest getting in touch with Dr. Deborah Bolnick (The
University of Texas, Austin, Department of Anthropology) as she is also in
Texas, has a DNA lab, and is familiar with working on museum collections.
She might be in a better position to give you more detailed information
about the research you could conduct on your mounts.

I would be happy to speak with you both if you have more/other questions or
would like the names of other possible DNA contacts. I hope this was
helpful!

Kelly Brown