[Nhcoll-l] Question About Validation of Scientific Collections

Schindel, David schindeld at si.edu
Thu Nov 10 13:37:26 EST 2016

I think you're asking about validation of the taxonomic identification of specimens, not entire collections.  A few publications have proposed ways to characterize the reliability of identifications but their proposals have never been implemented, as far as I know.  About all you can do is note who identified the specimen, sometimes found as metadata in the specimen database or an annotation on a specimen label. This doesn't indicate whether the ID is reliable or not, but it's better than nothing.   The Consortium for the Barcode of Life has developed a set of metadata fields for records in GenBank that record who made the identification, when it was made, the basis for the identification (whole specimens? diagnostic characters or overall appearance? pictures?) and a three-level qualitative assessment of the identifier's confidence in the accuracy of the identification.  We've used it for the Barcode of Life Project (www.barcodeoflife.org) and have a manuscript in preparation that presents the system.

David E. Schindel, Executive Secretary

Executive Secretary, Consortium for the Barcode of Life<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.barcodeoflife.org_content_about_what-2Dcbol&d=CwIFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=OHIDsRycRALBAxlWfA3pgNH1salVKMsgGM0nbuqSyWY&s=KtqEQgaWme-5Np8iuykrSl-Y2Ttnf4Ty8d-8HMAVaMU&e= >
Executive Board Chair, Scientific Collections International<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.scicoll.org_&d=CwIFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=OHIDsRycRALBAxlWfA3pgNH1salVKMsgGM0nbuqSyWY&s=GprtvITNIug59KS98D7kZvv4GU7B96oTZ8ZhwpOp0c0&e= >
  202/633-0812; fax 202/633-2938; portable 202/557-1149
National Museum of Natural History
 Smithsonian Institution
Washington, DC 20560