[Nhcoll-l] Possible dinosaur teeth ID

Jennifer Pietarila jen320 at gwmail.gwu.edu
Tue Oct 18 17:19:26 EDT 2016

Hello!

I have two pendants in the collection where I work and we are trying to
figure out what material they are made of. These pendants were found in
Eastern Washington as part of an archaeological survey. The records
indicate that they were identified as dinosaur teeth, specifically
Diplodocus.

As I'm not an expert in the identification of dinosaur specific materials,
I was wondering if someone could shed some light on these mystery pendants.

Each piece has smooth micro grooves running longitudinally along the
surface, three pinched ridges at the crown, and a circular groove at the
root. I am not sure if the groove is natural or man-made. They are over 2
inches in length (6.5 cm). I have attached a few pictures as examples.

Thanks!

Jennifer