[Nhcoll-l] Possible dinosaur teeth ID

Jean Demouthe jdemouthe at calacademy.org
Tue Oct 18 18:03:36 EDT 2016

these are sea urchin spines. The common name for these thick spines is
"pencils."

they are sometimes used in jewelry.

Jean DeMouthe

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 2:19 PM, Jennifer Pietarila <jen320 at gwmail.gwu.edu>
wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have two pendants in the collection where I work and we are trying to
> figure out what material they are made of. These pendants were found in
> Eastern Washington as part of an archaeological survey. The records
> indicate that they were identified as dinosaur teeth, specifically
> Diplodocus.
>
> As I'm not an expert in the identification of dinosaur specific materials,
> I was wondering if someone could shed some light on these mystery pendants.
>
> Each piece has smooth micro grooves running longitudinally along the
> surface, three pinched ridges at the crown, and a circular groove at the
> root. I am not sure if the groove is natural or man-made. They are over 2
> inches in length (6.5 cm). I have attached a few pictures as examples.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jennifer

> society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=CwIBaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=brvdmvCziP8IscgHrrlDmE8czBYxjRlvwgibpJwadSc&s=DZVywWqnELKTATPSbDuc2oAP2mNv892NiPk7wAfCzRU&e=  for membership information.

*Dr. Jean F. DeMouthe*
*Senior Collections Manager for Geology*
*California Academy of Sciences*
*55 Music Concourse Drive*
*Golden Gate Park*
*San Francisco, CA 94118*
*phone: 415-379-5258*
*email:  jdemouthe at calacademy.org <jdemouthe at calacademy.org>*

*I like nonsense; it wakes up the brain cells.*
*-Dr. Seuss*