[Nhcoll-l] Two additional workshops for SPNHC 2017

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Wed Apr 19 03:16:44 EDT 2017

Dear all,

really don't want to self-promote, but recent posts on NHColl seem to
underline, that some issues with shipping of specimens apparently
persist, even though we have been active to amend regs to ease
importation and shipping. Most of the issues are centred around improper
documentation and handing, but also because of some recent changes or
different interpretation of existing laws. We try to give an update in
our shipping workshop.

Fluids: since Berlin, we (Julian Carter, John Simmons, Ollie Crimmen &
I) have been working on the baseline standards of fluid collections, a
project that was originally launched by Chris Collins with support of
the Clothworkers Foundation at the NHM in London. So we are nearly done
with the baselines for fluid collections (invertebrates and vertebrates)
and tried to include botany collections as well, even though this part
could surely gain from your input.

Hope to see you there

Dirk

Am 18.04.2017 um 19:58 schrieb Kelly Tomajko:

> [...]
> workshops, please contact Leana Rupprecht at 303-3670-6401.
>
> If you have not yet registered and wish to attend one or both
> workshops, the options are now available on the registration form
> www.spnhc2017denver.org
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc2017denver.org&d=DwMFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=UwFbAhlXh-ozZ54nAhUuSf9_8q56q9yT40-6CcF7SkE&s=vYXea18CkJ2E4AZnmdNfXTwq38Sgn3Mv4ZUMdt8FcBU&e=>
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Kelly Tomajko, Local Organizing Committee Chair
>
> *Standards and Best Practices for Fluid Preservation*
>
> The insights and results presented in this workshop were initiated by
> Chris Collins (then of The Natural History Museum, London) in a
> Clothworkers Foundation funded project that combined the expertise of
> different people dedicated to fluid preservation during a workshop in
> London in 2013. Challenges for fluid-preserved collections were
> previously presented at the SPNHC conference in Cardiff
> (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__conservation.myspecies.info_node_33&d=DwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=gK0vXYb_z1Z_PKNp5v-U9hOYKWJEC_pLPn5gtxqL6Jk&s=ia9UxzxfqH4RF84KYExJzoQs_9n3O-EDU0Z2j-AAWJc&e=
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__conservation.myspecies.info_node_33&d=DwMFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=UwFbAhlXh-ozZ54nAhUuSf9_8q56q9yT40-6CcF7SkE&s=URd8miaTEiNqjM8Pqb6KUnLS7dE31iKvoUztwDvB_iw&e=>)
> in 2014. First outcomes to develop a framework to categorise
> sustainable approaches towards fluid preservation benchmarks and
> standards were presented during a workshop at the SPNHC conference in
> Berlin in 2016. In this next step, we will present effective and
> achievable standards and a consensus what baseline standards should be.
>
> *Legal Aspects of Shipping Preserved Animals and Tissues*
>
> The workshop gives a comprehensive introduction to relevant
> regulations and international laws researchers and institutions should
> consider when shipping specimens internationally. Covered areas
> include customs law, veterinary and animal by-product regulations,
> CITES and species protection legislation, IATA Dangerous Good
> Regulation (including an initial training for A180 shipping of ethanol
> preserved specimens) and practical advice for packaging and shipping
> of specimens. The final presentation will discuss potential effects of
> the Nagoya Protocol on the exchange of specimens. All presentations
> will be made available for self-training after the workshop.

> society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=DwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=gK0vXYb_z1Z_PKNp5v-U9hOYKWJEC_pLPn5gtxqL6Jk&s=P6lcnwEQW7JBYEIDSEMttRVWY23nSv3-WL0q6-OhSlI&e=  for membership information.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.zsm.mwn.de_ich_&d=DwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=gK0vXYb_z1Z_PKNp5v-U9hOYKWJEC_pLPn5gtxqL6Jk&s=c5hfpCDo8VsPijeXMdZk1SSGjONVqN00v3-A1xYs6xA&e=

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at: