[Nhcoll-l] Information about fluid collections

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 18 05:59:12 EDT 2017

Hi Juliette,

Firstly, it is wise to make up the Kaiserling III preservative well in advance before use, this will help to avoid some of the air bubble issues.  Make sure that the glycerine is thoroughly mixed in, there should be no Schleren optic effects!
Ideally to move specimens from alcohol to K III does involve a large osmotic pressure change and I am always advising against it.  I have never preserved medusae or other jelly forms in it, however some jewel anemones (Corynactis viridis) survived well but these were collected fresh, narcotised and taken through the Kaiserling process!

I would suggest, that if this process really must go ahead that you try a few experimental runs first.  It will take up much of your time, bearing in mind that you will have to take each specimen down a hydration ladder to water and then into a KIII solution with only half the glycerine content so that the specimens can accommodate to this stage - they will float at first and then gradually sink, then they can be transferred to the next stage - this will happened all the way down the ladder of alcohols - 60%, 40%, 20%, 10%, water, half-strength KIII then normal KIII.  You will need a small tank for each stage - the clip-top plastic ‘really useful’ boxes are good for this and you will need one of those kitchen serving/straining ladles with holes in it to transfer the specimens gently through each stage!

I have had no experience of preserving DNA in KIII, I have always used 96% ethanol.  For the formula I have always used: Kaiserling III (preservative): Potassium acetate (200g), glycerol (300), distilled water (900).  There are many later variations and modifications including Lunquist’s.

Thymol is a useful additive to prevent fungal growth and the camphor is good although I have never tried this modification before.  Normally the pot. acetate will be enough to prevent germination of fungal spores but it’s always best to take precautions, especially with so many specimens.

Feel free to come back to me and the List if you have any issues, further questions.

With all good wishes, Simon.

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,
www.natural-history-conservation.com