[Nhcoll-l] crack formation in glass stoppered jars on display

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Thu Jan 5 02:59:26 EST 2017

Dear Ian,

it seems that this is the typical damage that happens if ground stopper
jars are exposed to temperature shifts: of the temperature climbs
slightly, the neck widens and the stopper gets slightly deeper into the
neck. If it gets cooler again and the neck tightens again, tensions
builds up inside the neck and which causes the cracking you observed.

Suited (silicone free) grease might help to minimise the observed
problems, but it would be good to reduce temperature fluctuations inside
the cabinet. Also, check for and heat radiation that might be caused by
the light sources inside the cabinet, which could add to the problem.

Such problems could be increased if the stopper jar is of low quality
(e.g. poor soda-lime jars that have been produced shortly after WW II),
as these already have poor glass quality, or - because they were cooled
down too fast during production - still have sufficiently high tensions
inside the glass; both adds to the problems you observed. High quality
borosilicate jars might be a suited alternative (e.g. Dixon or Stoelze
Oberglass).

Hope this helps
Dirk

Am 05.01.2017 um 00:19 schrieb Ian Hart:
> We have had tadpoles (mounted on glass slides) on display in old
> ground-glass stoppered jars containing 10% formalin since September
> 2014. In the last 6 months (of 2016) two of these jars have developed
> (apparently) spontaneous cracks in the neck of the jar. Nothing could
> have struck the jars from without.
>
> Has anyone experienced cracks like this? If so, were you able to find
> out what caused them?
>
> We want to put the specimens back on display, but would like to rule
> out the display environment as a contributing factor to the cracking
> problem. The jars are on display in an illuminated cabinet. We do not
> have case temperature data for the time that the cracks occurred, but
> we have subsequently recorded a maximum daily temperature fluctuation
> in the case of 4.25 deg F (from 70.803 deg F to 75.075 deg F)
>
> I would gratefully appreciate any relevant information you have to
> share on this subject.
>
> ---
> Ian Hart
>
> Preparator
> Exhibit Studio
> California Academy of Sciences
> 55Music Concourse Drive
> Golden Gate Park
> San Francisco CA 94118
> (415) 379-5879 <tel:%28415%29%20379-5879>

> society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=CwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=Gk007Zo4g_nn0YoJUGEiL1hEqyx5T5be--XX9ts1Pls&s=GXKqXcSVbpaoo_lPVf8pNGUZ5US6HhUl9TfboLAdG6A&e=  for membership information.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.zsm.mwn.de_ich_&d=CwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=Gk007Zo4g_nn0YoJUGEiL1hEqyx5T5be--XX9ts1Pls&s=d2lSTSsvML63h8ReQXxrBO_XLlQ2KzBEqL0wvsZSI40&e=

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at: