[Nhcoll-l] Exploding glass vials

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 09:56:44 EST 2017

Sarah,
I agree with Dirk that the problem is internal pressure cause by
temperature fluctuations. Leaving more headspace (air space) between the
top of the liquid and the lid should solve the problem (because air is more
compressible than fluid).

That said, Randy also makes a good point. Instead of using screw-cap vials,
rehouse the specimens in straight-sided vials (shell vials) plugged with
polyester fiber and submerged in a larger jar of ethanol with a screw-cap
lid. I like polyester better than cotton because it has greater regain and
when done right, makes a better plug. Limit the number of vials you put in
each jar to make it easier to find the individual vials you need and to
minimize handling--keep just one layer of vials per jar, not two. The
advantages of housing several vials in a larger jar include an improved
specimen volume to fluid volume ratio, easier inspection for loss of fluid,
and you only have to worry about the seal on one closure (the jar) rather
than several closures.

--John

John E. Simmons
Museologica
128 E. Burnside Street
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania 16823-2010
simmons.johne at gmail.com
303-681-5708
www.museologica.com
and
Adjunct Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
University Park, Pennsylvania
and
Instructor, Museum Studies