[Nhcoll-l] Fw: Information request: problems with preserving specimens (formalin)

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 22:01:00 EDT 2017

Interesting problem. I am a bit dubious about the stuff being
paraformaldehyde because it is so localized (it appears from the photos to
be forming in small lumps--is this correct?). In my experience, when
paraformaldehyde begins to form the solution generally becomes cloudy. I
think the alternative explanation that was proposed--it is an oxidation
product resulting from drilling the aluminum--is the most likely
explanation. The pH of full-strength aqueous formaldehyde is in the range
of 2.5 to 3.5; when diluted 1:9 with water, the pH is usually in the range
of 3.0 to 4.6, more than sufficiently acidic to corrode the aluminum and
form the aluminum oxyhydroxide that Rob mentioned. The fact that the growth
appears around the holes and cuts is very diagnostic in this case.

Can you tell us a little more about the situation? Specifically:
1. What is the strength of the formaldehyde (full-strength or diluted, and
if the latter, what was the dilution?)
2. Was the formaldehyde buffered either prior to dilution or after, and if
so, what was the buffer and how much was used?
3. How long was the shark in the tank before the mystery growth was noticed?

Thanks,
John

John E. Simmons
Museologica
128 E. Burnside Street
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania 16823-2010
simmons.johne at gmail.com
303-681-5708
www.museologica.com
and
Adjunct Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
University Park, Pennsylvania
and
Instructor, Museum Studies