[Nhcoll-l] Update on ACE entries for hand-carries

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Thu Jun 29 03:06:20 EDT 2017

Dear Ellen,
dear all,

thank you very much for all your continuous efforts and negotiating with
CBP and help you offer. During the Legs & Regs committee meeting in
Denver we agreed to form a small subgroup which would look into US
specific topics; Stephanie Carson and I will circulate results of the
L&R meeting soon.

This topic is definitely worth to look into and to avoid troubles, and I
would be happy if we could work closely together with you and join
forces (also to reach out to more designated entry points - even though
Memphis surely is one of the most important ones because of the FedEx
AirHub). As we just learned in good old Europe, also quite inconspicuous
guys, i.e. dried insects (traded as novel food or animal feed), get
increasingly monitored and can cause issues upon import. Thus it is
important to establish as many communication channels as possible, and
to get the community more engaged.

All the best
Dirk

Am 28.06.2017 um 22:09 schrieb Ellen Paul:

> [...]
> be actively pursuing them and reporting back to all of you.
>
> For now, at least, it seems as though the hand-carries are not causing
> problems at the ports, though there has been one notable exception in
> recent weeks. They stressed that the "pre-alerts" are really helpful
> and should avert problems, though ironically, in that recent problem
> case, it was the pre-alert that triggered the problem. However, the
> flip side is that it gave us time to sort it out before the importer
> arrived in the U.S.
>
> I have only pre-alert contacts for Memphis. With hand-carries, you of
> course are not likely to be going to Memphis, so I will work on
> compiling a similar list for the other designated wildlife ports.
>
> The key to making this work is sending the pre-alerts far enough in
> advance that we have time to work out any problems that crop up before
> you or your colleagues arrive in the U.S.
>
> I also now have a trouble-shooting contact and that should be
> enormously helpful.
>
> The time has come, sadly, to explain that aiding with individual cases
> is something I will need to restrict to ornithologists. The OC is
> supported by the ornithological societies. I am happy to share general
> information with others but we really can't afford to assist
> non-ornithologists with their individual questions or problems
> anymore. We are, as you might have surmised from our recent pleas for
> donations, in a financial bind (and enormous gratitude to those of you
> who contributed). If you are not an ornithologist and you want
> assistance from us with individual cases, we'll need to discuss how
> you might compensate us for that time and expertise. I wish it didn't
> have to be this way, but it does. Think of it this way - if you had to
> hire a broker, it would cost you in the range of $200 or more. I hope
> the work we've done and the information we've shared has been helpful
> to you and that you won't encounter problems with your imports, but if
> you do, and you want the OC's assistance, please realize the value of
> the work you are asking us to do for you.
>
> Ellen
>
> --
> Ellen Paul
>
> Ellen Paul
>
> Executive Director
>
> Ornithological Council
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.nmnh.si.edu_BIRDNET&d=DwMDaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=OpEcLWlcZuSFe4ozrxDd-g7gZetumnsywfUQk5_euog&s=amFC9ULUjmNDVXtytm2Ew8TAwvp4yuc6TDt3TJa8pic&e=>
>

> Phone (301) 986 8568
>
> Providing Scientific Information about Birds

> society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=DwIDaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=eJhFNnSbbbmnUAR0rikQQuWE-WKjPsSN66X3xZYqM5E&s=wPElhQmYbPYGVA65EPWuLh8C681lAs0x0yjWFsz4L9A&e=  for membership information.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.zsm.mwn.de_ich_&d=DwIDaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=eJhFNnSbbbmnUAR0rikQQuWE-WKjPsSN66X3xZYqM5E&s=sszfdgXdeKfpxNzDllDMIH06JK7Z5grJ5i_ezL7GaKc&e=

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at: