[Nhcoll-l] cellulose powder for gap filler

Gali Beiner gali.beiner at mail.huji.ac.il
Wed Mar 22 02:28:48 EDT 2017

Hello Carrie and Bill,

Since I, too, often need to use gapfillers for (large) bone material, I'll
put in my two cents. Here in my country it isn't easy to lay hands on
conservation-grade materials, but sometimes one can find good solutions in
the hardware store. In my case, I bought glass spheres - not the glass
microballoons used in conservation of ceramics for tiny cracks, but a "not
micro" size. They're just glass with no additives, and small spheres have a
large surface area (=great bonding if mixed with adhesive).

This works very well for medium and large gaps, mixed with PB72, and can be
easily removed if necessary. For a nice smooth  finish, I apply a layer of
microcrystalline wax (cosmolloid 80H). For research rather than display
purposes, the wax is usually kept white without color, but it can be mixed
with pigment and colored if so desired.

For some large gaps that needed serious reconstruction work I used strips
of Japanese tissue dipped in PB72, built up in layers to bridge the gap. If
enough layers are applied, this can be surprisingly strong (I used this for
elephant scapulae). This too was finished off with wax, both for aesthetic
reasons and to protect the filler. Examples can be seen in this
publication:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.tandfonline.com_doi_abs_10.1080_19455224.2013&d=DwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=UUMk4WY2OBacUO6LEbKmVXg7Q-VRt8JfEiUXaUbiO1s&s=JRvf42EJrTGUDRnRmGehQmOplPbbB5XofcS52RaNs6E&e= .
796887?journalCode=rcon20

I'm very interested in hearing of other gap fillers out there!

Gali Beiner (ACR)
Conservator, Palaeontology Lab
National Natural History Collections
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Berman Building, Edmond J. Safra campus, Givat Ram
Jerusalem 91904, Israel
Fax. 972-2-6585785
*gali.beiner at mail.huji.ac.il <gali.beiner at mail.huji.ac.il>*

בתאריך 21 במרץ 2017 08:46 PM,‏ "William Simpson" <wsimpson at fieldmuseum.org>
כתב:

Hi Carrie,

I recently used a filler which is produced as part of a high-end marine
epoxy we use here.   We had an emergency crack filling repair to do for an
elephant scapula before the specimen went on exhibit.  The product is WEST
System Microfibers, filler 203 and we used it with B-72.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.westsystem.com_ss_403-2Dmicrofibers_&d=DwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=UUMk4WY2OBacUO6LEbKmVXg7Q-VRt8JfEiUXaUbiO1s&s=XgZsEUcn4iByokzibGEX-BCVzwJxotW1_oTSK-yewhk&e=
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.westsystem.com_ss_403-2Dmicrofibers_&d=DwMDaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=AFq15saX3xqHuXimaSRIxvieJKrMCuCuXFZFneSYhYI&s=ifj5zpVXY2U1s4cHkcnZ1vOd3UPMlT1w8kA0PLS9quo&e=>

Best,

Bill

On 3/21/17 12:59 PM, Carrie A. Eaton wrote:

Hi all,

I’m having some difficulty finding the correct size of cellulose powder
(formerly known as Whatman CF-11) for use as a gap filler mixed with B72.
>From what I can tell Whatman has since been absorbed GE Life Sciences and
the old part numbers no longer seem to apply. Does anyone have a reliable
lab source/manufacturing # for a good size cellulose powder for this use? I
know Talas carries it, but we have to pay equal its price in shipping to
get it here to the Midwest.

A thousand thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Carrie

Carrie Eaton, Museum Curator

UW Geology Museum

1215 West Dayton Street

Madison, WI 53706

608.262.4912 <(608)%20262-4912>

*twitter @uwgeologymuseum facebook.com/uwgeologymuseum
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__facebook.com_uwgeologymuseum&d=DwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=UUMk4WY2OBacUO6LEbKmVXg7Q-VRt8JfEiUXaUbiO1s&s=RQGn9Bh9hvyO4HMV0jJl1Z1brjg9XhljAYn78LTV2ZI&e= >*

NHCOLL-L is brought to you by the Society for the Preservation of
Natural History Collections (SPNHC), an international society whose
mission is to improve the preservation, conservation and management of
natural history collections to ensure their continuing value to
society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=DwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=UUMk4WY2OBacUO6LEbKmVXg7Q-VRt8JfEiUXaUbiO1s&s=s9NAUDWpaJlunXLcUNK1OjjI0Z8iN2nZBkZwrs7DPTo&e=
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=DwMDaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=AFq15saX3xqHuXimaSRIxvieJKrMCuCuXFZFneSYhYI&s=i0yNVKUnP4aVVAeWopspS2Gv4O4Xn47NPDw5Gg2ABFU&e=>
for membership information.
Advertising on NH-COLL-L is inappropriate.

--
*WILLIAM F. SIMPSON*
Head of Geological Collections, Gantz Family Collections Center

*FIELD MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY*
1400 South Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60605 USA

phone: (312) 665-7628
fax: (312) 665-7641

NHCOLL-L is brought to you by the Society for the Preservation of
Natural History Collections (SPNHC), an international society whose
mission is to improve the preservation, conservation and management of
natural history collections to ensure their continuing value to
society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=DwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=UUMk4WY2OBacUO6LEbKmVXg7Q-VRt8JfEiUXaUbiO1s&s=s9NAUDWpaJlunXLcUNK1OjjI0Z8iN2nZBkZwrs7DPTo&e=  for membership information.
Advertising on NH-COLL-L is inappropriate.