[Nhcoll-l] Info from FedEx - how to increase the chances of proper declarations for your imports

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Wed Mar 29 14:27:01 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I want to  add the following to Ellen's email (in part a repartition of
earlier comments)

1. FedEx issues: the key problem apparently is that FedEx does
in-advance clearance based on information added into their electronic
system (eDec). Please be aware that it is advisable that you use
identical information in electronic forms and in the written docs which
travel on the outside of your shipment. Be aware that the clearance (in
case you have to challenge unjustified charges) must be done based on
your written declarations that accompanies your parcel (and not on the
information that travels electronically). The per-alerts are apparently
suggested to protect FedEx from the own system-immanent blindness
(physical document checks is a challenge for them in the light of the
number of parcels they have to handler per night in a major hub like
Memphis)

2. Country of Origin: Mind the gap here: USFWS wants to declaration of
the country where the specimens have orginally been collected. But for
vets & customs clearance, this is not the relevant point (unless CITES
protected species are concerned).

For vets & customs clearance you need to refer to the country of origin,
which is that country, from which the museum specimens have been
dispatched. Make a clear distinction, where relevant.

Institutions receiving international loans are advised to keep (and not
discard) the USFWS-forms that have been sent with the paperwork when
receiving loans from US-based collections. It is recommended to add
those documents when sending the loans back again to smoothen re-import
to the US.

A more comprehensive update hopefully during the full day Shipping
workshop at the SPNHC conference in Denver.

All the best
Dirk

Am 29.03.2017 um 19:25 schrieb Ellen Paul:
> [...]
> <mailto:quotasupport at ftn.fedex.com>
>
> §  MEM CBP-AG MEMPHISAG at cbp.dhs.gov <mailto:MEMPHISAG at cbp.dhs.gov>
>
> §  MEM Hub OGA Area agency-research at mail.fedex.com
> <mailto:agency-research at mail.fedex.com>
>
> §  Paula Frassinelli – pefrassinelli at fedex.com
> <mailto:pefrassinelli at fedex.com>
>
> (Note that they have included FedEx Trade Networks in this list. I
> asked for clarification on this point because we've learned that the
> volume of shipments to museums and universities is far below the
> minimum threshold for the FTN Customized Processing Accounts. I was
> told that FTN handles clearance via the Express Clearance Operation
> (ECO) for customers who don't have Customized Processing Accounts).
>

> FTN Pre-Alert Requirements:
>
> §  The shipment will need to be pre alerted prior to 4 PM CST as well
> as manifested to help ensure an eDec can be filed on days and
> documents imaged into GENESIS (this is an internal system).
>
> The Pre-Alert should include the following:
>
> §  Subject Line:  Company Name:   and  AWB #
>
> §  # Pieces
>
> §  Weight
>
> §  Copy of all shipping docs in the event they are not imaged at origin
>
> Air Waybill (AWB) : The description of goods on the AWB will auto
> route the shipments directly to the FWS and/or CBP-AG area, it will
> also add a recurring intercept for FTN.   Properly identifying items
> shipped in the description is key to ensuring clearance by all agency.
>
> §  Description of goods on the AWB should be stated as such:
> WILDLIFE-FWS-CITES [or other USFWS permit type or "no permit" if no
> permit is required]  and CBP-AQI (if required), then description of
> what is being shipped.
>
> o   Genus and Species of items shipped
>
> o   Provide Harmonized Code (HTS CODE)
>
> ProForma/Commercial Invoice (CI) Requirements:
>
> §  Genus and Species
>
> §  Quantity of items shipped by type
>
> §  Origin Country of each item shipped – this can be a blanket
> statement If all items were collected in the same foreign origin
> country. Example:
>
> o      “All wildlife/AQI items were collected in Germany”.
>
> o   If from multiple different countries, please list by sample type,
> genus, species, and Country of Origin
>

> (Note - I have several examples of pro forma invoices - if you need
> one, contact me off-list)
>
> __
>
> Most wildlife shipments, if properly marked are routing through
> Memphis but again - track the package and if it is not routing through
> Memphis, notify the port through which it is routing. I will attempt
> to get a full set of contacts for each of the designated wildlife ports.

> society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=DwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=vFgyaWGoPcfqGLHlToShJDUYsVYrtoh8GEUey5TMJJQ&s=4vjAnuu_dKmsOwhph5inX8orgReXRzxjd8fRtIAn9vw&e=  for membership information.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.zsm.mwn.de_ich_&d=DwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=vFgyaWGoPcfqGLHlToShJDUYsVYrtoh8GEUey5TMJJQ&s=cY76J3BCRhqBU8RDtgp9WQBMICXOBiLeTkj-pVOnMqc&e=

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at: