[Nhcoll-l] Formaldehyde and bone preservation

Alexandra Snyder amsnyder at unm.edu
Fri May 26 12:58:28 EDT 2017

My question/comment as well.  The specimens should not be fixed in formalin prior to maceration given the antibacterial properties of formalin/formaldehyde;  the maceration process would be greatly inhibited.  You need those bacteria to help rot the flesh from the bone.  My other comment: I assume you will be removing flesh and organs prior to processing specimens.

Alexandra M Snyder, Collections Manager-Fishes
Museum of Southwestern Biology MSC03-2020
University of New Mexico Albuquerque NM 87131
PH./FAX 505.277.6005     amsnyder at unm.edu

PHYSICAL ADDRESS FOR FEDEX/UPS
Bldg.83  Room 204
302 Yale Blvd NE