[Nhcoll-l] Museum Project

Casey Tucker tuckercasey at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 15 18:25:55 EST 2017

Hi Folks,

I'm passing this along for those that might be interested.  As a disclaimer I have no part in this project or am I in anyway affiliated with it or its members.

It's a project conducted by Junior High and High School students in Mexico that might have implications for natural history museum prep staff and collection managers.

Maceration of Skull Tissue by Mealworms

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__experiment.com_projects_maceration-2Dof-2Dskull-2Dtissue-2Dby-2Dmealworms&d=DwIFAw&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=abH7mQMxjVSGDdKJkppSfflbLjd9bymvENmMqFc7zFg&s=bFw8XI57Fbyj1qdiffLz15DPeu3WMc4IBXxY5mQ5PMQ&e=

About This Project
Could Mealworms be used as an alternative to dermestid beetles for skeleton preparation? In museums, dermestid beetles can cause infestation problems and destruction of valuable collections if let loose. Through this experiment, we would like to find a way to reduce the chances of museum infestations and give amateur osteologists and hunters an easier way of processing animal materials to get clean skeletons.