[Nhcoll-l] Call for Proposals: AAMG UMAC 2018 Annual Conference

AAMG communications at aamg-us.org
Wed Oct 4 14:22:47 EDT 2017

Dear colleagues,

I hope you will consider sharing our call for proposals with your
membership. Please let us know if we can provide additional information.

Thank you,
Craig Hadley
AAMG, VP-Communications

*CALL FOR PROPOSALS*
*AAMG & UMAC CONFERENCE 2018*
June 21-24, 2018
Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami, FL

This year, AAMG (Association of Academic Museums & Galleries) is partnering
with UMAC (University Museums and Collections), a committee of ICOM
(International Council of Museums) for our 2018 Annual Conference in Miami,
FL.  We look forward to sharing great ideas and pressing concerns—and
learning and networking with our global colleagues.

*This Year’s Theme:*
*Audacious Ideas: University Museums and Collections as Change-Agents for a
Better World       *

We live in a dangerous, often unstable, and environmentally compromised
world. What can academic museums, galleries, and collections do to remedy
this situation? If we are dedicated to teaching and training new
generations of students, to serving increasingly diverse communities, how
do we make a positive difference? How do we know we are making that
difference?

*Audacious Ideas* asks presenters to share with us exciting and unusual
ways that their museums, galleries, and collections are serving as
change-agents. We’re interested in proposals that address how you are
adopting new roles and adapting old ones, welcoming new constituencies
while keeping current visitors, and creating new paradigms that make our
institutions more valued and critical partners in higher education and in
building a more peaceful and healthy world.

*Please note: all proposals should be submitted in English, as the entire
conference will be conducted in English.*

We invite proposals that address:

   - New models of teaching across campus, including exhibitions and
   collections.
   - New strategies for equity and inclusion on and off campus.
   - Innovative transnational collaborations.
   - New ideas for advancing our mission as change-agents in society –
   locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally.

*Presentation Formats*

Presenters may select from the following formats for their proposals:

   - *Roundtable Facilitator: *Would you like to lead a conversation on a
   specific topic? These lively discussions will be held on Thursday afternoon
   at the Donna E. Shalala Student Activity Center (University of Miami). We
   invite you to propose a topic and explain why your skills, experiences, and
   interests will contribute to your success as a discussion leader,
   particularly as this relates to conference’s theme.  As the Roundtable
   Facilitator, you will welcome attendees, offer a 5-10 minute overview about
   the topic and your personal connection to it, and then facilitate a
   conversation with those present.  Roundtables run 1 ¼ hours.
   - *Throwdown: *We select up to 10 presenters for 5 minute (no more than
   20 slides) talks on Thursday evening, during our opening reception.  We
   call it a “Throwdown” because it’s high energy, quick-paced, and
   foregrounds powerful ideas. This is an excellent opportunity for students
   and emerging professionals to share a special program or practice*.*
   - *Panels: *Panels are the heart of our conference.  Over two days, we
   anticipate having 18 panels. That breaks out to 9 per day: 3 simultaneous
   sessions 3 times per day, one in the morning and two in the afternoon.
   Panels are 1 ¼ hours each and have 2-4 presenters, with one panelist or
   convener serving as moderator.  A minimum of 15 minutes should be used for
   dialogue with your audience, following the presentations. All presentations
   should be in PowerPoint format, and the moderator is responsible for
   gathering them and bringing them on a laptop. The moderator is also
   responsible for time-keeping. You’ll need to tell us the topic, what each
   presenter will contribute, and how the proposal relates to the conference
   theme. If you’d like to lead a panel but need to find panelists, you can
   query the AAMG and UMAC listservs for participants.
   - *Poster Sessions: *Tell us the topic, why it’s relevant to the theme,
   and confirm that you will be present. Poster specifications will be sent
   later and posters may be brought to the conference or mailed earlier.
   - *Workshops: *Would you like to lead a workshop that strengthens museum
   practice? We’re willing to share the income.  Tell us what you would teach,
   what your experience is leading this, how long you would like your workshop
   to run (full or half day), and how many attendees you would prefer.
   Workshop day to be determined, but it will likely be Sunday morning.

*We now have a Google form for proposals: **please find the link here.*
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__goo.gl_forms_hWWwTZhOgiWfhjZT2&d=DwIFaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=TwZW932vL4MORwF5_hlYvara9KZ7GeADSlPejAnRLG0&s=qkuaTw2Ecc_eNBk9upo_aj_YDSv0vWR1iKwOgavRkw8&e= >

*Deadline for submitting your proposal is: October 30, 2017*

*Questions?* Please contact the Program Committee Co-Chairs:
Jill Hartz, hartz at uoregon.edu (AAMG representative)
Barbara Rothermel, rothermel at lynchburg.edu (UMAC representative)