[Nhcoll-l] Arsenic SOPS for vertebrate collections

Elizabeth Wommack ewommack at uwyo.edu
Thu Oct 5 13:50:26 EDT 2017

Hello everyone,

The UWYMV is putting together SOPs for our teaching and research
collections for historic arsenic exposure.
I was wondering if any one had examples of SOPs that they've had to come up
with for their collections?
If anyone has tested and found arsenic in their specimens, how do you go
about labeling the specimens, and do you house them separately from the
rest of your collection?

I'm specifically interested in how you handle making your historic
collection accessible and usable by students and researchers, but also safe.

We're most concerned about our bird collections presently, but this will
also extend to our mammal collections as well.

Any advice and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Beth Wommack

--
Elizabeth Wommack, PhD
Curator and Collections Manager of Vertebrates