[Nhcoll-l] no-data archaeological material

Peter Rauch peterar at berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 5 14:03:54 EDT 2017

Alec,

I think you actually did identify an anthropological/archeological value
and use for those "artifacts with no data".

One option might be to make the problem the topic—to display the objects as
a jumbled group, with didactic labels talking about the scale of collecting
and the impact of indiscriminate collecting and looting on the
archaeological record.

Those objects have stories to tell. In the context of the science and art
of anthropology/archeology, the sorts of stories you suggest as an option,
emerge from those objects. (I wouldn't "jumble" them --that itself might be
an arbitrary imputation, unless you use the "jumble" as a metaphor for
illustrating the inability to order the artifacts in any more rational way.
;>)

What more powerful source of material than those , and what more
appropriate context of presentation than a museum, is there to tell the
story of [all those reasons you cited below] the "artifact with no data"?

Peter