[Nhcoll-l] ISO Taxidermy/history collections conservator

Erin Cashion ecashion at ohiohistory.org
Thu Oct 5 15:14:36 EDT 2017

Hi All,

A large cabinet containing a naturalistic display of taxidermied native Ohio wildlife (mammals, birds, a couple amphibians and reptiles) and domestic fowl was recently donated to us from another institution. The taxidermy and embellishments inside are faded and dusty; in addition, the mirror at the back is cracked (see Cabinet_3.jpg). There is a plexiglass sheet covering the glass front of the cabinet that is not original. There is also one artificial bird inside that I suspect is not original. Given the date of its construction (~1890), arsenic is likely present. It has not been transferred to our institution yet.

Firstly, the conservation needs of this cabinet lie beyond my rudimentary skill set. Can anyone recommend conservators familiar with both historic furniture and taxidermy care? We hope to find someone based in Ohio or surrounding states to minimize transportation costs and risk of damage to the piece, if possible.

Secondly, I was made aware that the dark staining, best seen in the face mask of the barn owl, may be a result of coal dust in the environment at the time of its collection, and not necessarily dust or oils that have been accumulated in the intervening time. If so, its presence tells a story and is integral to the specimen and should not be cleaned off. Has anyone done research on this topic who can substantiate this theory? Are there other perspectives or interpretations of this staining?

I have attached 4 photos of the piece. Any assistance is most welcome!

Thanks,
Erin B. Cashion, Curator of Natural History
Ohio History Connection
800 East 17th Ave. Columbus, Ohio 43211
p. 614-298-2054
ecashion at ohiohistory.org<mailto:ecashion at ohiohistory.org>

The Ohio History Connection's mission<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ohiohistory.org_about-2Dus&d=DwIFAg&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=VLy6LvHeZ1MPrc5KDo1umolxwkXEv0Lt4iSW-Nk6jFA&s=M5xi3KEETFOzbsp5LIoJrbV3pdokiq9igbCEHY5jBPk&e= > is to spark discovery of Ohio's stories. Embrace the present, share the past and transform the future.