[Nhcoll-l] UMMZ Mammals-Open for Business

Cody Thompson cwthomp at umich.edu
Mon Oct 23 17:56:19 EDT 2017

Colleagues:
This was posted to the Mammal-L listserv previously, so we apologize for any
cross-postings!

As many of you know, the University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ)
Mammal Collection suspended its operations in 2015 to prepare and relocate
our specimens, labs, and offices to the new UM Research Museums Center
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__record.umich.edu_articles_more-2D13m-2Dmuseum-2Dspecimens-2Dmoving-2Dnew-2Du-2Dm-2D&d=DwIFAw&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=mEQ8LfZEP9fKKPyswOPzZHfeRXfTo0NEekzMysh_r3c&s=3gWVQqwwTpHXaM-3Hoa-WOwomwqtzU2B6-0tOIQ2H04&e=
facility> .  This relocation also includes the five other UMMZ collections,
UM Museum of Anthropological Archaeology, and UM Museum of Paleontology.
The UM Herbarium previously moved to the building in 2002.  This will be the
first time in several decades that all the UM research museums are under one
roof.  The history of the UM museums, and relocation timeline, is provided
here
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lsa.umich.edu_lsa_news-2Devents_all-2Dnews_search-2Dnews_moving-2Dmuseums.h&d=DwIFAw&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=mEQ8LfZEP9fKKPyswOPzZHfeRXfTo0NEekzMysh_r3c&s=SdKeL8DzqKm1WW6yC80vzQ7HWysDgn8dgSZPLAikxIs&e=
tml> .
Although the relocation efforts are still underway in other collections, and
will continue through spring 2018, the UMMZ Mammal Collection has completed
relocation of the majority of its holdings.  Because of ongoing activity, we
are not operating at full capacity, but we are ready to begin receiving loan
requests, visitors, etc. from the scientific community.  We just ask that
you allow adequate time when making your requests and inquiries during the
remainder of this transition period.

Please note our new address below.  The UMMZ Mammal Collection no longer
will be receiving specimens at the 1109 Geddes Avenue address.

Sincerely,
Priscilla Tucker, PhD
UMMZ Mammal Curator

Cody W. Thompson, PhD
UMMZ Mammal Collections Manager

University of Michigan
Museum of Zoology
3600 Varsity Drive
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108
Office: (734) 615-2810
Fax: (734) 763-4080
Email: cwthomp at umich.edu
Website: codythompson.org <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__codythompson.org&d=DwIFAw&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=mEQ8LfZEP9fKKPyswOPzZHfeRXfTo0NEekzMysh_r3c&s=sJelgNTAVAslBChfl8HEAuNZUAi8UVR806W-eepCrT0&e=>

³Museums have two main objectives: the increase of knowledge and the
diffusion of knowledge.²
-Alexander Ruthven