[Nhcoll-l] Coelacanth deterioration

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Thu Sep 14 02:47:38 EDT 2017

Hi Simon,

well, not that sure - we have two specimens (an embryo and a rotten
juvenile): the embryo was in formalin, and during ct-imaging there we
had issues with the resolution of the images because the bony structures
suffered from the acidic conditions of the holding fluid.

The initially already rotten specimen we have (originally formalin
fixed) and subsequently stored in 75% EtOH does perfectly well.

All the best
Dirk

Am 13.09.2017 um 23:30 schrieb Simon Moore:
> [...]
>>>
>>> 1. The specimen was purchased in the fall of 1971, and was preserved
>>> in formaldehyde at that time.
>>>
>>> 2. The specimen was transferred to alcohol when it was put on
>>> display sometime after 1971.
>>>
>>>       [do you mean it was transferred to ethyl alcohol at this time?]
>>>
>>> 3. Some alcohol changes were done in the following years, but no
>>> records exist of the changes.
>>>
>>> 4. The last complete alcohol change (the old alcohol was drained and
>>> replaced with 50% isopropanol) was done in 2000. The isopropanol has
>>> not been changed since 2000.
>>>
>>> 5. A pH reading was made on April 12, 2017. The litmus paper
>>> indicated less than pH 5. It was pale yellow.
>>>
>>> 6. A density meter reading was made on April 12, 2017 and showed the
>>> solution to be 0.9285 g/cm^2 (density meter adjusted to alcohol).
>>> The display has 51% Isopropanol (standardized to 20 ^o C), and 43.4%
>>> (non-standardize and not corrected to temperature).
>>>

>>> Some points to consider:
>>> -The density of 50% isopropyl alcohol at 20C should be about 0.925 g/mL.
>>> -Testing for pH of alcohol mixtures is tricky, but a pH indicator
>>> strip can give you an approximate idea of how acidic or basic the
>>> mixture is.
>>> -From the photographs, it appears that a lot of damage has already
>>> occurred to the specimen that cannot be repaired and in fact, the
>>> deterioration is ongoing and will only get worse. As Simon Moore
>>> pointed out in his email response, the scales and other debris
>>> accumulating in the tank indicate that that the tissues and tissue
>>> matrix of the specimen are breaking down, probably due to
>>> acidification of the isopropyl alcohol mixture. The orange color of
>>> the specimen is also characteristic of acidification of a preserved
>>> specimen (although the color could also be an artifact of the
>>> lighting used for the photographs).
>>>
>>> I also sent the photographs toDirk Neumann to examine. He has
>>> suggested that you could try transferring the specimen into 75%
>>> ethyl alcohol (ETOH) by gradually adding ethanol to the storage
>>> fluid in a series of steps (for example, using ratios of ethanol to
>>> isopropyl storage fluid of 1/3, 2/3, 3/3) to slow down the
>>> deterioration process, but it is unlikely that the deterioration can
>>> be stopped it at this point, and that procedure will not restore the
>>> specimen. Another option might be toconvert the specimen (at least
>>> its badly damaged side) to be an anatomical preparation, showing the
>>> skeleton.
>>>

>>> It is possible that Rob, Simon, or Dirk will have other suggestions
>>> for what you can do, but the situation does not look good.
>>>

>>> I will be in Vancouver from 02-05 November for a meeting. Although
>>> my schedule is very full due to the meeting, I might be able to come
>>> to the Vancouver Aquarium on Sunday afternoon, 05 November, to look
>>> at the specimen if that is possible (my flight home leaves that
>>> evening), although I doubt that I could see anything that is not

>>> 303-681-5708
>>> www.museologica.com <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.museologica.com_&d=DwIDaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=HvbSWwlZfKmLKPd_10LTvVP3vXOuIgukW_bd5OazWb4&s=NBDZeU0_tp-fuHHJAV6wgkuoPKvlI-CA7Korikk3kwA&e= >