[Nhcoll-l] Imaging taxidermy/mounted exhibition specimens for databasing

Huong Lien Tran huong.tran at uq.net.au
Wed Sep 20 05:25:24 EDT 2017

Hi all,

Our museum recently got hold of old taxidermy/mounted exhibition specimens of mostly birds and mammals. While they're not display of highest aesthetic quality, and probably won't be brought out for the public in a long time,  they still hold many values, and will be added to our future online collections. Therefore, I am curious to hear from other museums on:

(1) Specimens tag/information included:  What sorts of information do you normally put in with taxidermy, mounted exhibition specimens not on display. I know there are standard information on research specimens, but our exhibition ones were normally prepared from confiscated remains and dead zoo animals then transferred to the museum, thus not much data were recovered.

(2) Specimens imaging: How to take good photo of them, and make them look good for putting on web? Since none of us are really skilled with image capturing and manipulation. Which angle do you normally take? What's resolution are standard?

We would also appreciate some examples from your museums, as more reference are always appreciated!

I attached some photo of the specimens mentioned above currently in our repository.

----

Huong-Lien Tran
Curator assistant, Department of Specimen Collection Management
Vietnam National Museum of Nature, Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology
18 Hoang Quoc Viet Street, Nghia Do, Hanoi, Vietnam
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.vnmn.ac.vn&d=DwIFAw&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=p7qWtoYfiPv1anLrs0ZpQMLPwlzIZXq6I6y-pnoQ_5Y&s=Jt2QnjQAjEJStUL0ne0Ii7OoYG_Lg9TwcT9VcIc5zVo&e=