[Nhcoll-l] Imaging taxidermy/mounted exhibition specimens for databasing

Randall,Zachary S zrandall at flmnh.ufl.edu
Wed Sep 20 18:14:52 EDT 2017

Hi Huong Lien,

In regards to specimen imaging I would suggest using a solid background color. For mounted specimens this can easily be achieved using a large poster board. I did a quick trial run in our lab that took 15-20 min from setup to final post processed image. I attached the images here which include setup, unprocessed resulting image, and post processed image. All images were taken with a point and shoot (Sony RX-100), and lighting used was the default lab lights. Edits used for post processing in Photoshop only included changes in levels (mostly contrast), a little dodge and burn, and a crop. This was all achieved very quickly with a minimal setup. If you have DSLR, I would recommend using that on a tripod for better resolution. Flash units would also give you more flexibility for controlling light. There are a lot of options for setup and it comes down to what you want your final image to look like. In regards to file resolution, use the highest (pixel dimensions) at your disposal. Make copies of your original image to preferred reduced file size (i.e. small files to upload on a website).

If you have any questions feel free to contact me off the list serve. zrandall at flmnh.ufl.edu

Cheers,
Zach
--