[Nhcoll-l] Feedback requested: survey on 3D metadata standards

andrea thomer andrea.thomer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 15:41:35 EDT 2018

Hi everyone,

I’m emailing on behalf of the Community Standards for 3D Digital
Preservation (CS3DP) <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A___&d=DwIFaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=kS81QvEmoVtLrb4iKRHjjOYAmiwq4t70vIxT1VbKuUs&s=dLiPuxwDgCXz_5IkjdflMAwfWMxuev-Zy7yxa4TLfVI&e=> metadata working group. We’re trying to
identify common data standards used by the digitizers, creators, and
curators of 3D data, so that we can recommend metadata best practices that
best fit the needs and current practices of this community.

*So, if you are involved in a 3D digitization project, or are  managing 3D
models and data - we need your help!  *

We’d like to know how you describe and organize your 3D data.

   - If you use some sort of data or metadata standard (whether a community
   developed one like Audubon Core, or a “home grown” system of your own
   devising) - what fields do you use, and with what application guidelines?
   - If you primarily embed metadata in file names and directory
   structures, what information do you encode in each of these names?

*What we need from you: descriptions of the data and metadata standards you
are using to document and manage your 3D objects! * Ideally, this would
consist of a list of fields and their definitions, or a description of your
file structure and naming practices — however, you’re welcome to send us
screenshots of your data entry screens as well.

*If you’re willing to provide us with your metadata terms, please email me
(Andrea Thomer, athomer at umich.edu <athomer at umich.edu>) and Jasmine Clark
(jasmine.l.clark at temple.edu <jasmine.l.clark at temple.edu>).*  You can send
us your terms/screens directly, and we're also happy to answer any
questions you might have about this project (though note: we are not the
CS3DP organizers, just participants).  Please respond by April 30th at the
latest, though the sooner we get people's information, the faster we can
get to work.

Also - please feel free to forward this email to any collaborators or
colleagues that might also be willing to contribute! The more terms we get,
the better our recommendations might be.

Thanks,

Andrea Thomer, on behalf of the CS3DP metadata working group
Assistant Professor
School of Information
University of Michigan