[Nhcoll-l] Clearing & Staining issue

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 24 12:46:09 EDT 2018

Hi Sebastian,

These look like mice and preserved in glycerine or propylene glycol (I use the former).  The white tissue looks to me like fatty deposits, mainly tri-glyceride.  This will become more transparent if the concentration of the glycerine is increased to about 70/80%.  I have found that lab. Bred mice tend to have more fat bodies than wild ones.  In some cases, I skinned, eviscerated and fixed the specimens (10% formalin), then dehydrated them into acetone to reduce the body fat problem, then macerated, stained and preserved in 10% glycerine, gradually increasing the concentration of glycerine to c. 80%.
For foetal mice, that need no skinning, the process is much the same.  However, as I first stated, the more concentrated glycerine used reduces the opacity of the fat bodies.

With all good wishes, Simon.

Simon Moore, MIScT, FLS, RScI, ACR,
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian.

www.natural-history-conservation.com
Sent from Mail for Windows 10