[Nhcoll-l] Passing of Stephen L. Williams

rw at protectheritage.com rw at protectheritage.com
Fri Aug 3 21:03:04 EDT 2018

Thank you for sharing Marcia.

We have indeed lost a great man, colleague, and friend.

Your suggestion that he is the father of collection management is, to my
mind, very accurate. Many years I shared a room with Steve during SPNHC
conferences and many times we would be up until the wee hours of the morning
solving most, if not all, of the world's problems. At the Victoria meeting I
remember we slept in and he had to literally run to the lecture hall to
deliver his paper - poor Steve was pretty upset as you can imagine. He is
still being productive though - being a coauthor of one of the chapters in
the Preventive Conservation: Collection Storage book due out this fall. It
is just like Steve to never quit! Steve will be missed mostly by his great
family but also by all of us working in collection management, especially in
natural history museums.

Rob