[Nhcoll-l] Archival paper vs plastic

Gill Comerford g.comerford at nhm.ac.uk
Mon Aug 6 03:59:55 EDT 2018

Hi Tonya

As requested some thoughts - I do not think paper products are outdated, indeed far from it.

However if you are thinking of making a change from card to plastic then you will need to compare the composition and properties of the both plastic and paper/card. If you wish to prevent mould then I suggest you do not place collection items in plastic lidded boxes as that will increase the likelihood of your objects becoming mouldy. If your objects are stored in card boxes and becoming mouldy then you need to make a thorough environmental survey of the building and services (RH and T) housing your collections.

There are many reasons for using archival quality paper products not least the life of the box and buffering properties of the card. A good archival box will last a least 100 years. How long will the plastic box last before becoming brittle. Will the composition of the plastic box endanger the object?

Cheers

Gill

Gill Comerford
Principle Conservator