[Nhcoll-l] Passing of Stephen L. Williams

Carolyn Leckie cleckie at nature.ca
Tue Aug 7 12:21:37 EDT 2018

Hi Marcie

Oh such sad, sad news.  I think fate meant for me to meet Steve --  and as they say, "and that has made all the difference".

By recruiting me into the emerging field of natural history conservation, Steve changed the trajectory of my professional career,  enabling me to combine my personal love of museums and nature.

But he did so much more for a young Canadian, transplanted to the Carnegie Museum for an IMLS grant.  There were the lessons of vision,  drive and work ethic; matched with an equal amount of kindness, humour and commitment to family.

Steve's vision and drive is reflected in the fact that, 25 years into my career, I still routinely refer back to key preservation studies Steve and Cathy did.  I also continue to reinforce Steve's early lessons, to my own conservation students - talk to the curatorial staff, clearly understand a specimen's scientific value and its risk of loss, it is often not what you would expect.  Steve's work ethic was also incredible, no job, no matter how academically rigorous or how humble was to be done right.

Steve's fundamental kindness, humour and commitment to family, radiates from his obituary video https://www.lakeshorefuneralhome.com/dr-stephen-l-williams/ .

Such a life well lived.  My heart goes out to his beautiful family, that he loved so much.

Carolyn Leckie
Natural History Conservator
Canadian Museum of Nature