[Nhcoll-l] Storage query

Mandy Reid Mandy.Reid at austmus.gov.au
Sun Jan 7 23:10:25 EST 2018

Hi
I manage the Malacology collection at the Australian Museum in Sydney. Our larger dry specimens (too big for vials) are currently stored in open trays in archival boxes with their labels. The larger specimens each have their registration numbers written in fine ink on the shells. This makes it easier to notice if a shell becomes misplaced in the wrong box and if a tray is dropped they can be matched to registration numbers.

We had a volunteer who did nothing but write on shells for 30 years. This volunteer is now over 90 years old and has, at last, resigned her post.

I am trying to explore alternative and less labour intensive storage and am wondering how other museums deal with dry shell collections. I have thought of press-seal bags but am not sure how plastic might affect shells in the long term, and it is likely these may get caught when trays are slid in and out of drawers. Clear bags would be preferred.

If anyone has any suggestions

Dr Mandy Reid

Collection Manager, Malacology | Australian Museum Research Institute
Australian Museum  1 William Street Sydney NSW 2010 Australia
T 61 2 9320 6412 | M 61 431 829 842 | F 61 2 9320 6253

[cid:image001.png at 01D38892.CE808BD0]

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube

The Australian Museum acknowledges the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the Museum is located, the Gadigal People of the Eora Nation. The Museum aspires to celebrate, educate and preserve the diverse natural history and cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People.

[https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__australianmuseum.net.au_images_footer_am-5Femail-5Fsignature.jpg&d=DwIFAg&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=Ob4Zt11KeEZTZd31-OVSp6nQd8VDbTbpV9g-uQh2_LQ&s=JLwv512MM38AX0UmzdRqv52V3to-AK0bbnamXEkfwsU&e=] <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__australianmuseum.net.au_landing_mammoths_&d=DwIFAg&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=Ob4Zt11KeEZTZd31-OVSp6nQd8VDbTbpV9g-uQh2_LQ&s=rQfphKSkDlSHaPJ3FedTNGqXcyUy3tbRnEqctGle2SA&e=>

Click here to read the Australian Museum email disclaimer.

The Australian Museum email disclaimer<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__australianmuseum.net.au_images_footer_disclaimer.htm&d=DwIFAg&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=Ob4Zt11KeEZTZd31-OVSp6nQd8VDbTbpV9g-uQh2_LQ&s=MgR8hjK22chFgcb2VkkCaycVq8jVLrX_eRmh2D1AW3k&e=>