[Nhcoll-l] Who teaches courses focused on the subject of collections for undergraduates?

Carla Cicero ccicero at berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 2 22:34:35 EDT 2018

Hi Eric - There are two courses offered at UC Berkeley aimed at teaching
students about collections and museums. One is a freshman seminar taught by
Dr. Eileen Lacey and focused on the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology. The other
is a higher level course (IB/ESPM 105, "Natural History Museums and
Biodiversity Science") that  is a broad collaboration between a number of
faculty and staff affiliated with the different Berkeley Natural History
Museums (co-led by Drs. Brent Mishler and Rosemary Gillespie). I am copying
them all here in case you have more questions about the courses.

In the MVZ, we also have an Undergraduate Program that engages students in
museum science through the UC Berkeley Undergraduate Research Apprentice
Program (URAP). Here is a paper
<http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.2003318>
that we published recently on that MVZ program (lead author is a former
undergrad, now a grad student at LSU).

Best,
Carla

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 12:51 PM Schultz, Eric <eric.schultz at uconn.edu>
wrote:

> With a colleague at the University of Connecticut's Benton Art Museum, I
> am preparing a multidisciplinary course for freshman Honors students on
> collections and museums. The topics covered will include the history of
> collecting, the taxonomy of collections (e.g. art, natural history), how
> collections promote knowledge production and discovery, the practice of
> collecting and its ethics. I am interested in connecting with others who
> teach courses focused on collections, be they similarly multidisciplinary
> or confined to natural history collections--and especially if they are
> undergraduate courses-- what readings on these topics have you found
> engaging and informative?
>

> Eric Schultz
> Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
> University of Connecticut

Carla Cicero, Ph.D
Staff Curator of Birds
Museum of Vertebrate Zoology