[Nhcoll-l] Crystal Formation From Evaporated Holding Fluid

Joanna Chu jchu at csumb.edu
Thu Jul 5 19:15:24 EDT 2018

I came across a horned lizard specimen while going through jars from an old
donated collection. Its holding fluid has totally evaporated and there has
been a lot of large crystal formation (see photos). I do not have any
information on how this specimen was fixed or what was in the holding
fluid. I'm concerned about potential hazards with handling this specimen
due to the crystallization (reactivity, explosive, etc.). Any information
on what these crystals might be and how to safely handle the specimen would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,