[Nhcoll-l] Flesh-eating dermestids

Tonya.Haff at csiro.au Tonya.Haff at csiro.au
Fri Jun 1 00:03:27 EDT 2018

Hello all,

I have a question about keeping dermestids. I've always considered their colonies to be a risk to skin collections, as desmestid bettles are a major risk/pest of collections. However, an entomologist friend of mine recently pointed out that the flesh-eating dermestids are much larger and not interested in feathers, hair or skin, but that they specifically eat flesh, and that as such they shouldn't pose much of a risk). Do any of you have any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Tonya

Dr Tonya Haff
Collections Manager
Australian National Wildlife Collection
National Research Collections Australia, CSIRO
Canberra, Australia
Phone: (+61) 02 62421566