[Nhcoll-l] Alcohol safe InkJet printers

Jean-Marc Gagnon JMGAGNON at nature.ca
Wed Jun 20 12:01:32 EDT 2018

Dear Tom,

This is a very interesting question and subject.

But first, I want to emphasize that even though our experience with producing labels with inkjet printers for fluid-preserved samples appears to have been positive, the need to continue testing and validating our practices, as proposed by Gali Beiner and others, is essential. You can also check the following: https://spnhc.biowikifarm.net/wiki/Labeling_Natural_History_Collections

As far as using inkjet printers is concerned, the fact that many such printers are becoming obsolete (or at least access to the cartridges is) is certainly a big ongoing issue. We are now at our fourth generation of printers.

The challenge appears to be mostly one of print quality. Since most printer companies have recently focused on colour printing, the quality of B&W print has gone down significantly; it's not easy to find a printer that has actual 1200 x 1200 DPI resolution, which we require for our small labels.

The black ink is generally a pigment-based ink, even the cheap generic refill ink, so that is not so much an issue once you've tested it. But some inks seem to work fine on certain paper but tend to run on others. The result on Resistal paper is acceptable for font size 8 pts and bigger.

Of course, the ink has to dry completely before it is immersed in alcohol. We leave the printed labels on a slide warming plate for at least an hour before immersion. It is best to do your own tests before going all the way with a combination of printer and paper. Both can affect the result and the long term durability.

We currently use two HP Officejet 4650 in Invertebrate Collections (mostly fluid-preserved) and Entomology (very small font) and the results are good. Of course, you have to set up the printing to the highest resolution and "black only".

The reality, again, is that these printers will disappear (with the fast turn-over of technology and limited durability) and we'll have to find a more permanent solution too. That is why we also use the thermal transfer printers.

I hope this helps.

Jean-Marc

Jean-Marc Gagnon, Ph.D.
Curator/Conservateur, Invertebrate Collections/Collections de invertébrés
Tel : 613-364-4066, email/courriel : jmgagnon at nature.ca<mailto:jmgagnon at nature.ca>
https://nature.ca/en/research-collections/science-experts/jean-marc-gagnon

Research & Collections / Recherche & Collections
Canadian Museum of Nature /Musée canadien de la nature
P.O. Box 3443, Sta. D / Casier Postal 3443, Succ. D
Ottawa, ON K1P 6P4
Canada
(Courier address : 1740 Pink Road, Gatineau, QC, J9J 3N7)