[Nhcoll-l] Thanks

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Sat Jun 23 04:04:34 EDT 2018

Hi all,

without adding to more on the current discussions on the quality of
labels, it might be worth to consider the following: when visiting
especially the francophone collections in Europe, I noticed that many
are adding additional small tags (usually paper tags with perforated
accession numbers). Also, during earlier discussions (e.g. during the
label workshop during SPNHC in Leiden), it was suggested to add
handwritten accession numbers (either in India ink on the jar label or
by adding an additional one).

At that time I though - wow, much too much work. But in fact, when you
are sorting specimens to jars when returning from field, many of us use
small tags or labels to tags jars for databasing. Earlier, I did this
with non-alcohol proof pens, scribbled corrections, tissue numbers,
field numbers onto them - and tossed them when labelling jars.

Now I use graphite pencils and/or alcohol proof pigmented ink, and
include them in the jar. Not only do these small tags bear valuable
information on the sorting and the person processing the incoming
material (e.g. handwriting, corrections or additions), these small tags
are a suited reassurance if the original jar label fails (different
imprinting method - graphite pencil or archival quality pigmented ink
have been used for centuries). Today, labels are usually printed from
electronic sources (databases), and it is easy to reproduce such
deteriorated labels. Unless the accession number is legible.

All the best
Dirk

--
Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
*new email: neumann(a)snsb.de*

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
*new email: neumann(a)snsb.de*

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/