[Nhcoll-l] Thanks

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Mon Jun 25 05:39:44 EDT 2018

Hi Tom,

the problem with the Copenhagen lids supposedly is the denaturing agent
that is used in Europe: it is a very aggressive Ketone
(methylethylketone or MEK); might be worth to check this on your order
forms of your supplier or on your ethanol containers. Copenhagen jars do
better in collections using camphor as denaturant though (Belgium and
France).
Same here in Munich, al lot of cracking and I am disposing all those
jars of; might be worth to opt for standardised metal twist-off lids or
pharmaceutical jars (clear glass quality, PP lids with PE-inlays). First
lids are used in our collections and Stockholm since many years with
good results (and because lids and jars have standardised neck easy to
replace in case of failure). Second type was introduced in our
collection more then 10 years ago with good results; replaced on this
occasion old backelite lids.

Have been testing Andy's jars since some time now (on the window sill
with indirect sun exposure) with good results, but as Andy knows, I am
also sceptical if these labels will survive decades of storage in MEK
alcohol.

All the best
Dirk

Am 25.06.2018 um 10:49 schrieb Tom Schiøtte:

> Yes Andy, I thought you would say that, but the problem is your own
> words below. “…longevity…” and “...that will stand the test of time…”.
> We know that carbon pigmented ink on good quality archival paper has
> done this. We don’t know yet what polyester will do. You may well be
> proven right in time, but other examples scare. Our Copenhagen 75 g
> glass jars have good quality plastic lids that back in the 1960’es
> were thought to be able to last for eternity. After more than half a
> century they have started to crack, and we have thousands and
> thousands of them…
>
> Tom

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
*new email: neumann(a)snsb.de*

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
*new email: neumann(a)snsb.de*

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/