[Nhcoll-l] Grants for construction/capital improvements?

Kirsten Nicholson norops at gmail.com
Fri May 4 12:31:00 EDT 2018

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the photo vouchering - super helpful!

Now I'm looking for advice on any grants you guys are familiar with that
would fund capital improvements to museum buildings that may involve
construction?  We have an issue over here where our fluids collections are
going to be moved out of the current space (which isn't rated to safely
house the volume of fluid that is currently in there) and into multiple
spaces in different buildings that are rated to safely house some amount of
flammables. There is no single room on campus that can safely house all of
our fluids collections. So we had a feasibility study done last summer to
see what it would take to renovate a possible room on campus so that it
could house all the collections, and the cost was very high ($1.5 billion
dollars).

But my director wants me to apply for grants that could make those
renovations, even if it meant breaking the project down into smaller chunks
and getting the money for each separately. I'm rather at a loss for where
to get such funds, short of actual direct donor dollars. Do you guys have
any suggestions?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Kirsten

--
Kirsten E. Nicholson, Ph.D

*Prof. of  Biology          and             Curator of Natural HistoryDept.
of Biology                             Museum of Cultural and Natural
History2104 Biosciences                           103 Rowe HallCentral
Michigan Univ.                 Central Michigan University Mt. Pleasant, MI
48859                 Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859989-774-3758
             989-774-3829*